Walt Mankowski via plug-announce via plug on 11 Mar 2023 07:07:06 -0800

[PLUG] [plug-announce] Tue Mar 14 - PLUG North - "Remedial Math for Programmers" by Walt Mankowski (7pm EDT online)

PLUG North will be meeting on Tuesday, March 14, beginning at 7pm EDT
(2300 UTC). The US is switching to daylight saving time this
weekend. If you're planning to attend the meeting from outside the US,
keep in mind that we'll be starting an hour earlier than usual this
month! The meeting will be online. Details are at the bottom of the
email.

This month, PLUG welcomes back Walt Mankowski. Walt will be giving a talk
entitled "Remedial Math for Programmers", which he's practicing for
the upcoming CPOSC conference on April 1.

  Have you ever struggled through a programming interview because you
  couldn't remember some math you learned in high school? Do you want
  to understand some of the math behind video games and machine
  learning? Want to brush up your math skills before taking some
  online computer classes? Then this is the talk for you! We'll take a
  whirlwind tour through the most important math concepts in computer
  science. We'll review:

  * Exponents and logarithms, and why understanding them is so
    important to writing fast code

  * The modulus operator and what it's good for

  * Practical applications of sines and cosines

I originally gave a version of this talk at FOSSCON and at PLUG in
2019. Back then I had a full hour, but CPOSC talks are only 30
minutes. I've had to chop the final section, which was basically "this
is the one big concept you need to understand about linear algebra".
Oh well.

We'll be using Jitsi Meet, a free and open source videoconferencing
platform, for the meeting. The meeting will start at 7 PM. The talk
will start sometime around 7:15, or whenever we're all set. Q&A and
general banter will follow the talk.

You can access the meeting online at

https://meet.jit.si/PLUGNorthMarch2023

Jitsi Meet also has apps for iOS and Android. If you decide to
use one of those apps, use meeting code "PLUGNorthMarch2023".