brent saner via plug on 2 May 2024 17:54:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Permissions "Can View Content"

On Thu, May 2, 2024, 18:40 Casey Bralla via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

I was debugging some rsync problems when I came across some permission issues that I can't figure out.

I understand that each file has Read, Write, and Execute permissions.  But when I used the file manager PCManFM to review and set permissions, it offered these three options:

  1. Read
  2. Write
  3. "View Content"

(BTW, setting "Anyone can View Content" on the file solved my rsync permissions problem, despite the "read" flag being previously set.)

So what is the difference between "read" and "view content"?  And how does one  set "view content" from the command line?

Presumably, "View Content" is the execute bit. I'm assuming this was on a directory and not a file? The execute bit on a directory means a user is allowed to recurse through/traverse into the directory. It's probably just a PCManFM oddity/misnomer.