K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 6 May 2024 12:48:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why Your VPN May Not Be As Secure As It Claims

Thanks Rich, that helps.

Regards
– Bhaskar

On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 1:27 PM Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
I don't frequent Krebs, but that article is just plain not-good. It
starts out with a basic premise, sowing a little generic FUD about how
VPNs aren't always perfect security, then veers off into some very
basic networking attacks.

If you have a bad actor on the hotel wifi exhausting the house DHCP
pool and broadcasting a rogue DHCP server, you have a pretty serious
attack going on. I'd recommend doing your best to determine the
location, alerting hotel staff, and retrieving a fire axe. This is
precisely why I travel with a little wifi hotspot that I rooted,