Michael Lazin via plug on 27 May 2024 09:26:18 -0700

[PLUG] rkhunter on two fresh installs

I did two fresh installs of Ubuntu this morning and ran rkhunter on them and it found this:

root@michael-IdeaPad-Slim-3-15IRU8:/var/log# grep Warning rkhunter.log
[11:47:15]   /usr/bin/lwp-request                            [ Warning ]
[11:47:15] Warning: The command '/usr/bin/lwp-request' has been replaced by a script: /usr/bin/lwp-request: Perl script text executable
root@michael-IdeaPad-Slim-3-15IRU8:/var/log#

It said I had one possible rootkit due to this detection.  This file is a script and not a binary file.

I am trying to lock down these boxes, I want a good blend of ease of use and security.  I would use OpenBSD if I wanted max security but I wanted a wired general Linux desktop and laptop.  I just want to make sure that this is a known false positive.

Thanks,

Michael Lazin

.. τὸ γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι.