James Ralston on Sun, 2 Mar 2003 07:36:06 -0500

[tcptra-dev] patch: integrated autoconf / libnet support

On 2003-02-27 at 11:43:24-0500 Jon Allen Boone <ipmonger@delamancha.org> wrote:
> Here's a unified diff with my changes.  This is totally
> *unofficial*, as it doesn't meet mct's requirements for supporting
> both libnet 1.0 and 1.1, but it would get you started so that you
> can work on the autoconf stuff.

Thanks Jon.

I've integrated Jon's patch with my autoconf patches, and attached the
resulting patch:

    1.  tcptraceroute now works with both libnet 1.0 and 1.1.

    2.  tcptraceroute now uses autoconf, automake, et. al. for
        building.

    3.  Missing GNU-standard files were added, and existing files were
        cleaned up (e.g., the contents of "changelog" reformatted into
        a standard "ChangeLog" file).

Apply the patch, then run:

    $ aclocal
    $ autoheader
    $ autoconf
    $ automake --add-missing

A standard "./configure; make; make install" should then work.

I've tested this on Red Hat Linux 8.0.94 (the "Phoebe" beta), using
both libnet 1.0.2a and 1.1.0.  I had no problems with either libnet
version.  I'd appreciate feedback on how this works on other systems,
and particularly with other versions of libnet.  (Please post feedback
to the list.)

(Michael, I wasn't sure how you wanted to integrate support for both
versions of libnet, so I chose a very simple #ifdef approach.  A fair
number of the #ifdefs could be eliminated by e.g. clever use of
typedefs, but I figured that was a decision you'd want to make.)

I don't know enough about building Debian .deb files to update the
"debian" subdirectory.  However, I've included the Red Hat Linux spec
file I used to build RPM packages.  (It will need to be updated once
the patch is integrated with the tcptraceroute distribution.)

Regards,
James