Miles Fidelman on Wed, 2 Apr 2003 06:19:09 -0500

[tcptra-dev] problem running tcptraceroute under Mac OS 10.2.3

Hi Folks,

I just managed to build tcptraceroute on a Mac, running OS 10.2.3. But,
when I go to run it, I get the following error:

[Miles-Fidelmans-Computer:~] root# tcptraceroute -i en0 www.sympa.org 80
ioctl(SIOCGIFADDR): Device not configured

with the debug flag:

[Miles-Fidelmans-Computer:~] root# tcptraceroute -d -i en0 www.sympa.org
80
debug: tcptraceroute 1.4 (2002-07-30)
debug: Compiled with libpcap version 0.6, libnet version 1.0.2a
debug: device set to en0
debug: entering getinterfaces()
debug: ifreq buffer set to 32
debug: Successfully retrieved interface list
debug: Discovered interface lo0 with address 127.0.0.1
debug: errno == 6

looks like it's trying to use interface lo0, even though I tell it to use
the en0 (the active ethernet port)

environment is as follows (from the Fink Commander build system):

Package manager version: 0.12.1
Distribution version: 0.5.1.cvs
Mac OS X version: 10.2.3
December 2002 Developer Tools
gcc version: 3.1
make version: 3.79
Feedback Courtesy of FinkCommander

-----
When I looked in the code, I see all kinds of special cases for BSD
environments - so I wonder if there are some environment variables that
need to be set before running make, or some such.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman@civicnet.org	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"