Michael C. Toren on Sun, 25 May 2003 22:03:05 -0400

Re: [tcptra-dev] tcptraceroute-1.5beta1

> I tried tcptraceroute 1.5 beta1 on MacOS X 10.2.6 with the December
> 2002 Developer Tools and had some problems.  I also had problems with
> v1.4 via Fink, so it may be there's something else going on here.
>
> I tried 127.0.0.1 (local loopback), 24.163.210.43 (my network interface
> IP address), and a network address (66.135.192.87) and got the same re-
> sult every time.  Here the are (I quit them before 30 iterations):

Hi Joel,

This is typical behavior on some BSD-like systems that don't support
select(2) on BPF file descriptors.  As a workaround, you can try running
tcptraceroute with the --no-select command line argument, which will force
it to check for new data without first consulting select(2) to see weather
or not it's available.  If that works for you, can you please send me the
output of "tcptraceroute -dv", "uname -a" and, "gcc -E -dM - </dev/null" on
your system?  Armed with that data, it may be possible to write an autoconf
check such that --no-select is the default behavior on MacOS X in the
future.

Thanks!
-mct