Richard van den Berg on 8 Jan 2004 17:14:01 -0000

Re: [tcptra-dev] 1.5beta5 on Solaris 8/SPARC

Albert Chin wrote:
Unfortunately, the "tcptraceroute-dev Archives" link at
http://lists.netisland.net/mailman/listinfo/tcptraceroute-dev directs
you to http://lists.netisland.net/archives/tcptraceroute-dev/ which is
inaccessible.

I noticed that before. Michael: any chance this can be fixed?

From my personal archive:

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:22:14 +0200
To:  tcptraceroute-dev@netisland.net
Subject: Re: [tcptra-dev] tcptraceroute test suite

Michael C. Toren wrote:
> The only plausible scenario I can
> imagine is that libnet-1.1.1 on Solaris is constructing valid IP packets,
> but with invalid TCP payloads.

Good thinking. Indeed libnet-1.1.1 is producing invalid checksums in the tcp header. The attachment is the result of the test you suggested, captured with snoop. You can use ethereal or the like to analyze it.

It seems to be a generic libnet-1.1.1 problem. I tried the tcp1 program from the samples directory, and it gives the same results..

I'll try to report it to the libnet folks.. but I did not get any response when I reported some other (compiling) bugs last week.

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg