rsuchowi on Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:21:56 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Potential new meeting place

Avi Freedman wrote:

> The offer -
>
> There's a lecture hall that seats 100 in the complex, almost wired for
> Ethernet (we have fiber around the complex, so that can be done in short
> order).
>
> The train runs about once/hour (I can just see it now, a "Linux train"
> running back into the city), and at night there's plenty of parking...
>
> EarthStation Netaxs is willing to get the lecture hall and provide soda
> and chips, and eventually to get a projector that can be used for demos.
> There's enough space up top for people to bring machines.

This is a GREAT offer, there are some problems that people should know
about.  The traffic from Center City to Lee Park (I have traveled this route
often) is absolutely horrific.  It is only a 15 mile drive from the  current
meeting area, but under "normal" surekill expressway conditions the drive
takes 45-60 minutes.  Traffic will usually start to dissipate between 6:30
and 7:00.  At that point the it turns into a 20-30 minute drive.

Accessibility by train is limited so don't count on it, listing for the R6
train route can be found at :

http://www.septa.org/schedules/maps/R6.GIF

Despite the problems with traffic, if the meetings can be slated to start at
7:30, most of the traffic  should be dissipated, also consider that there are
no "parking" costs to contend with either.
IMHO, Considering the amount of room that is available this location as well
as the cost for the room, it is better than anything that can be obtained in
Center City or the U of P area.

As an aside, it probably would be a decent idea start a web page to vote for
proposed locations.
Robert Suchowierski, Jr.
just my $0.02

begin:vcard