Jason S. on Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:12:49 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] /boot/System.map

"Andrew P. Ban" wrote:

> To All,
>
>         What is it? What does it do? How do I update it after compiling and
> installing a new kernel?
>
> I cannot find any references in the man pages, my collection of books,
> or in any HOW-TO's though it is possible I was looking in the wrong
> places.
>
> Thanks
> Drew

> All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
> the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if
> you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
> means, do not use a hammer.     -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925

You'll find docs for it in the modprobe/depmod man pages.

>From the modprobe man page:
 Option -d put depmod in debug mode. It outputs all command
       it  is  issuing.  Option -e outputs the list of unresolved
       symbol for each module, Normally depmod  only  output  the
       list of unloadable modules.  Option -v outputs the list of
       all processed modules. If the -i option is specified, dep-
       mod  does  not  report  errors caused by mismatched symbol
       version.  This can be usefull if a kernel is specified, or
       -m  is used. The -m option must be followed by the path of
       a System.map type file, which depmod then uses for  symbol
       information instead of the currently running kernel.  Mod-
       ules may be located at different place in the  filesystem,
       but there will always be some need to override this, espe-
       cially for module developers.   We  expect  some  official
       standard  will  emerge, defined by the FSSTND.  Until that
       time you might as well use this suggested directory struc-
       ture.

After you build a kernel, you'll find a new system.map in the build
root. I usually copy it into /boot and rename it to System.map-`uname
-r` then make a symbolic link to it. Regardless, it needs to be in / or
/boot. Hope this helps.

--
J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.