Michelle Weber on Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:57:17 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] ICQ and gaming over Linux

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Jason S. wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Paul B. Krause wrote:
>
> >  try vmware.  It ain't $free, but it looks pretty solid, more so than wine.
> > (It sure beats the hell out or booting into 'doze!)
>
> How so? vmware is cool, but you're still running windows. Not only
> that, but if you have windows installed already you cant use your
> existing install (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but have to make
> a second "virtual" install of windows for running under linux. That
> and the performance hit is unacceptable (to me at least) for playing
> games. It'd run better if you'd just boot directly into windows and
> run the game.

Actually you can boot into your existing partition, I did do it.  I don't
remember how exactly, but I had to dig through the documentation on
vmware's site, though I think it wasn't offical or something like that.  I
know I was able to boot into an existing windows partition (well halfway
before my tmp dir filled and my drive was totally full, kinda tight on
space) but it did work.  Also, they recommend that if you are really going
to boot into a partition, and boot it from vmware, that you set up
hardware profiles, since vmware just tells windows you have certain pieces
of hardware no matter what you've really got.

--
Michelle Weber
umweber@mcs.drexel.edu