Jason S. on Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:21:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Optimized distribution

I went crazy with pgcc a while back. Recompiled the better part of
my distro. It didnt buy _that_ much performance. If you're going
to try to squeak out that little bit of performance start with the
big stuff. Do the kernel, that helps a good amount. Next do X and
whatever WM you use. If you're looking for speed you should be using
something light. I liked olvwm. Its pretty minimal and on the small
side.

If you're going to be running kde and/or gnome you could recompile
all the packages, but at that point its no longer a matter of
compiler settings, its a matter of bloat. This isnt a slight, I
use gnome/E every day. Actually I rather like it. The CVS code for
E has some nice features in it. There's an updated rpm for RH6
on my web page. Visit www.neverlight.com if you feel like getting
it. There's a shot up at www.neverlight.com/foo.jpg where you can
see the new pagers, icon box and whatnot. The theme in the pic is
the nIx theme. I forget where I found the background.

Anyways, I digress. The overall performance gains were pretty
minimal in my case. It was nice, but I wouldnt do it again.
It took forever to recompile everything and made upgrading a pain
in the behind. I had to build everything. You'd gain more performance
by shutting down needless services and running applications with
smaller memory footprints than you would by recompiling. Just
my 2 cents. As for the smaller apps... who really needs a pentium
optimized version of ls? :)

The only thing I didnt do, that I probably should have done was
recompile my libc. I didnt do it because.... well, if you break your
libc it gets really ugly really quickly.

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.