Master and Servant on Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:04:16 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Old Computers

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Morgan Wajda-Levie wrote:
> I'm not sure if I've brought this up on this list or not, but does
> anybody have any old 486s that they don't need any more and would be
> willing to sell to me?

Well, So Morgan is lookin for something older and is willing to pay for
it, which is cool, and Nick is interested too...

So, while we're at it.  (And it's on slashdot, too..) the 'old computer
bug' has hit us...

So, I might as well take this time to talk about MY project and why I need
all your old computer stuff.. 8)

Well, me and a friend are working on (read: talking about -- right now
we're in the inventory and research stage) building a Beowulf (or MOSIX)
cluster.

You can check my (extremely primitive) webpages on the subject (more
detailing our plans rather than information about Beowulf, MOSIX, or other
clustering issues/projects -- tho if you are curious if something is being
done/what is out there, feel free to ask, I havent kept the best bookmarks
list but I have done A LOT of surfing on the subject) and my personal
inventory -- his inventory is a bit better) at http://come.to/process

Please note, the webserver it's on right now has been going down for some
unknown reason.. It IS up now tho!  Also lately the statistics system I
use has been down (maybe it is hosted on Worldcom) so it might crank a bit
on the statistics graphic that it calls for..

Anyways if you are INTERESTED in this feel free to drop me a line.

other project(s) of note:
I have a computer magazine archive you can see the (not updated in a
while) webpage at http://www.usacs.rutgers.edu/~msimons/library/compmaga.htm
(yes, .htm -- it was edited on occasion on my parent's win 3.1 box)
Of course, I am seeking old/unwanted magazines for this too.. and if
anybody wants to view/research/photocopy anything out of them, feel free
to drop me a line regarding this.

other things that get me going: toasternets, wearables, old unwanted
computers, etc.!