Chuck Peters on Sun, 29 Aug 1999 16:31:08 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Good bye GIFs

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, elek wrote:

> As much as I'd like to "burn all GIFs" - I'm going crazy here.
>
> As a web designer - I've got a gazillion GIFs on sites all over the place.
> I used GIFs since not all browsers can read jpg's or png's.
>
> So now - I have all these GIFs on web sites and no time to get them all
> switched.
>
> I wonder if this is why they held out so long before saying "okay now we
> want our money"...
>
> I knew they pretty much "owned" the format but I thought the vendor of the
> image software needed the license (I'm not exactly brilliant when it comes
> to copyright/trademark/patent laws and I'm still not quite sure I
> understand which vendor licenses are and are not acceptable).

I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as any legal advise, but I wouldn't
start converting everything to png just yet.  Unisys may not have a legal
leg to stand on because they did not enforce the patent from the start.

The svlug list has some interesting discussions on the subject.  One of
the more intersting posts follows.

Chuck