Son To on Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:08:37 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Linux & Wireless NICs

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Howard Helbein wrote:
> Is anyone out there in PLUG doing anything with wireless network cards.

I am using OTC wireless ethernet (http://www.ezylink.com/). I should have
done more research before purchasing them because OTC is not IEEE802.11
complient which mean I'm stuck with talking only to OTC products. Proxim
is IEEE802.11 complient though. OTC is not very reliable either. I
occasionally get 10% packet lost even though the units are located only 10
feet apart.  What I like about it though is that it operates at the
physical layer so it runs on any OS without the  need to install drivers.
Just plug it into RJ45 interface

I've heard good things about Breezecom and Aironet technology. I'm
actually going to NYC next friday to see a demonstration of
Aironet's 11mbps ethernet technology. The IEEE802.11 specification for
11mbps ethernet is not standardize yet... so if you want to protect your
investment stick with the 2mbps technology.

The setup I have at home consist of two linux box, one NT, and one win95.
The linux boxes and the win95 are connected via hub. The wireless ethernet
is attached to the hub and trasmit data (2mbps)to the wireless ethernet on
the NT. One of the linux machine is setup for IP-Masq with a dial-up ppp
connection to the internet.