Rebecca Ore on Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:12:20 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Quake

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 09:05:08PM -0500, Charles Stack wrote:
> I was given Quake as a gift for X-mas.  Trying to install it was a real
> bugger...missing libs and such.  Eventually, I started the X version.  Aside
> from doing funky things to the display (like changing all the other window's
> strange colors when the Quake window was active, it runs pretty well.
> Occassionally, it would crap out and die..but for the most part, it ran
> pretty well.
>
> Have others encountered these same issues?  I'm running RH 6.2.

Are you running in eight bit color?  I've had this flashing colors
problem with a couple of graphics programs (not Quake) when I ran
eight bit color.  If you can run 16 bit color, it might be better.

Try "startx --bpp 16" or look at your XFree86 configuration.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net