Michael W. Ryan on Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:21:38 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (old)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Adam Turoff wrote:

> I've heard that same advantage applied to *NIX, since you can log in
> from anywhere in the world, fire up vi and tweak a running server with
> a minimum of keystrokes.

Hang on.  This is a usability issue.  Text-based interfaces tend to only
be easier if you're working with that interface frequently (in which case,
they are faster).  I also consider vi to be a usability issue, also. :)

Just a point:  contrary to popular belief/rumor, it is possible to
administer NT remotely.

Also, don't downplay the benefit and importance of a GUI.  GUI's were
created for a reason.

> *NIX has always focused on the engineer, while Win* has always focused
> on end-user usability.  Calling *NIX worse on a scale of usability is
> a fair cop.  Figuring out how to make Linux more usable to the average
> man on the street is a useful discussion (IMHO).

Yes, and I think this is something that Linux could learn a great deal
about from MS (well, that and marketing).

> I'm incredibly skeptical about Win2k.  If it is truly on par with
> Solaris, Linux, etc. then I'll accept Win2K as a better OS.

Better than what?  Better than Linux?  It depends on what you want to do
with it and what your needs are.  The point is that you're insisting on
being convinced by an impossible to obtain history.  I've never claimed
Win2k was better than Linux.  Nor will I claim, for the moment, that Linux
is better than Win2k.  It all depends and what your needs are, and not
everyone's needs for their OS is the same.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)