Sijian Zhou on Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:43:42 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] RedHat Linux 6.1 ISP connection

Hi, Greg and Simons:

Thanks a lot for your discussion on my ISP connection
problem.

I followed Greg's instruction step by step last night.
And I got message 'Failed to activate
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0' after I
tried to active my newly configed 'ppp0'.

Greg: Everything in your instruction make sense to me
but at step 7: 'Leave Hostname and Domain fields
unchanged,
fill in the other two with info you got from your
ISP.' My Domain default was blank. I left 'Search for
host name in addition dmnains' field empty too. I put
my IPS's DNSs (206.13.101.10; 206.13.28.12) to
Nameservers field. Is this right? BTW, I did not
forget 'cross my finger'.

Simons: I did realize there is something called 'Win
Modem'. I bought my Best Data modem '95. I don't think
there was 'Win Modem' then. This modem does not have
Pnp functionality (I bought it $199.99 apiece!).
Anyway thanks for you advice.

After failed attempt to use netcfg/control-panel to
set up my ISP. I found there is another KDE tool to
set up ISP in it's menu system. This tool is very
similar with the ISP config tool in Win98. This time,
it got better:
I can dial out to my ISP modem number. I can hear the
modem noise. But the connection seems taking forever
and never confirmed. During the dial, my mouse is
disabled and when I disconnected the dial, the mouse
worked again. I did try to use netscape browser (even
without mouse) during dial. It failed to access
internet sites. Also, I have to use 'default modem'
selection, not '/dev/ttyS2' to dial. Otherwise, the
modem don't ring the number at all. I configed my
modem to COM3.

The start string:
ATZ
The dial string:
ATDT14847914567

I think the long dialing problem probably related to
handshaking. But I don't know what should I add
besides username/password.

Any idea?