Michael W. Ryan on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:57:50 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Advocacy

I was talking a friend (and co-worker) of mine.  He's an IT professional,
has been for years, and even comes from a Unix background.  For a couple
of years now, he's been interested in giving Linux a go.  I've given him
an older copy of Red Hat.  He's got systems he could try it out on, too.
In fact, at one point he asked if Linux had been ported to the Sun
workstation.

He thinks Linux has some merit.  He'd like to learn Linux.  He won't,
though.  Why?  Because he can't stand the Linux community.  He sees the
Linux community as a bunch of zealots that treat Linux as a religion.

My boss thinks Linux has technical merit, but won't go anywhere near it.
Why?  The community.

Yes, those are two people.  Do you think that they're the only two?

Those who loudly proclaim that Microsoft is Evil.  Those who denounce
anyone who puts forth anything but Linux as poor, deluded fools.  The
vocal majority of the Linux community.  They don't help promote Linux;
they drive people away from it.

Let me put in practical terms.  Which do you think is more motivational to
someone who asks why you use Linux:

1) Because it provides me with a stable OS to use on my older PC.  Plus,
it makes for an good development platform.

2) Because I refuse to give anymore money to Microsoft for the bloated
crap that they try to foist off as software!

And please don't tell me people don't tell me that people don't respond in
the manner of #2; they do.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)