Aarune J. Oracle on Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:58:41 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] SparcStation 4 help

Hey all,

   I have someone that is willing to sell me a SparcStation 4.  But I am
not to familiar with sparc hardware.  In other words I dont know if it is
working.  What is happening is I turn it on and about a min later it
starts to start a white screen flashes up too fast for me to see and it
goes "Black".  I hear the hard drive making noise every so often like it
is doing something, but I get nothing on the screen, I waited 5 min just
to make sure, thinking it was just slow.  But nothin.  It has memory and a
hard drive, but I do not have a keyboard or any kind of adapter to allow
me to use any other keyboard.  Is this normal?  I am thinking it doesnt
have an OS on it so that is why it is not doing anything, but I get no
info or any kind of maintenence screen.

Does anyone know how I can test this machin in this state?  It looks brand
new, the box doesnt even have any dust in it.  So it IS my guess it doesnt
have an OS.

Any feedback would be helpful.

The next challenge will be Solaris 8 or Linux. :)

--
-Rune

Operating-system software is the program that orchestrates all the basic
functions of a computer.

		-- The Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, September 15, 1987, page 40

Windows 2000 can be called a parasite because it keeps growing, consuming its host's resources and spreading across networks