Sean R. Cummins on Wed, 10 May 2000 19:27:26 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] inconveniently broke a sun box

There's a real quick and easy way to fix this if you have the Solaris
media.....

high level overview: boot off the install cd in single user mode, mount the
root filesystem, edit /etc/passwd.

step-by-step:

1) put the install media in the drive, go to the prom level (the "ok"
prompt) and type "boot cdrom -s"

2) Find the name of your root slice.  If you don't know the name of your
root partition, try this:
       a) type "format"
       b) choose the disk you think you're booting off of (probably 0).
remember the cxtxdx name of the disk you chose, you'll need it later.
       c) type "p" enter "p" enter to print out the partition table.  you
should find a root slice there, probably slice 0.
       d) so, you'll want to append the root slice number (s0) to the name
of the disk (c0t0d0), making it, in this case, c0t0d0s0.

3) Mount that into /a by typing "mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a"

4) cd /a/etc

5) vi passwd, save your changes, reboot.

That should do it...

- Sean