Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 23 May 2000 09:36:51 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] OT: Suspected hacker attack - Can anyone advise?

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Brent R. Matzelle wrote:

> For everyone's information PHP 4.0 (Zend) was just released.  It has
> been licensed by the QPL (the same as KDE).  I assume that this means
> that PHP 4.0 will not be placed on a Debian Apache/PHP installation in
> the future.  I really hate it when developers have to mess around with
> an excellent tool like that.  They did improve the perfomance in many
> ways, but at the cost of the GPL.  It doesn't seem worth it to me.  Does
> anyone have any info or comments on this subject?

Just like people should have freedom of choice in choosing which
application to use, developers should have freedom of choice on how to
license their software, whether it's GPL, QPL, BSD license, or completely
proprietary.  Anyone who allows the licensing of a good product to prevent
them from using it, as long the license doesn't exclude their intended
use, is an idiot.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.