beldon on Fri, 26 May 2000 13:26:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Installfest

> The installfest sub-thread kind of died a couple days ago.  I'd still
> like to do this, but I don't want to set something up and show up if
> I'll be the only one there.
>
> Is anybody interested?  Would anybody show up to help install?  Would
> anybody be there for help getting Linux installed and working on their
> machine?  Any suggestions about where to have this?  I think that it
> would be a Good Thing, but again, I don't want effort on my part to be
> wasted.  I'm only willing to do the work if there will be others to
> volunteer and people that want to install Linux present (sorry if that
> makes me sound selfish).
>
> The format I'm thinking of would be similar to
> http://www.svlug.org/wrkshop.shtml.  Volunteers would be asked to bring
> what they can among the following: their own machine, distro CDs, hubs,
> network cables, etc.  People going for install help would need to bring
> floppy disks and their machine (including essential peripherals:
> keyboard, mouse, monitor, power cords and strips for the preceding
> items, etc.), plus, if they can, their distro CDs, network cabling/NICs,
> hubs, etc.
>
> I can bring a machine to be used as a server for network installs, my
> personal machine, SuSE 6.3, Slackware 7, Corel 1.0 and 1.1, a crossover
> network cable (I don't have a "real" network set up yet, just a simple
> two-machine deal), two straight-through serial cables plus one
> null-modem adapter, an external modem, and a couple of power strips
> (mostly for my machines, but there will be a couple of spare outlets in
> a pinch).
>
> So how about it?  I'm thinking that a few hours some Saturday would be
> the most convenient for everybody, but I'm open to suggestions as well.
> I'm trying to gauge interest, so if you'd like to go, then say so.  :)

I'm definitely game.

BTW, in reference to my other comments about LinuxMAll CDROMS, here is the
complete text of the offer:

"100 Assorted Penguin Power CDs for User Groups
Manufacturer: LinuxMall
Version: 1.0
LinuxMall Part No: 01839

Especially for Linux User Groups! This bundle consists of 100 of our famous
Penguin Power CDs, each containing an open-source operating system distribution
such as Corel Linux, Linux-Mandrake, TurboLinux, or FreeBSD. The latest
versions of the different distributions are provided in approximately equal
amounts, subject to availability.

Mall Price: $100.00
Usually ships within 24 hours

Further Information:
All of the CDs in this bundle are also available individually. We have
assembled them in this package for the convenience of Linux User Groups. We
encourage you to give away these CDs at InstallFests and other events, make
them raffle prizes, or sell them individually.

The exact quantity of any one distribution within the bundle may vary according
to availability."

Sounds like it could come in handy.