Nicolai Rosen on Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:21:36 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Help for Start up with CGI for forms

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Little, Terrance wrote:
> My name is Terry and I am a recently subscribed memeber of PLUG and I was
> wondering if there would be any help available for me with my new "Start Up"
> company.  The problem that I'm having is creating cgi scripts that will take
> orders selected from text boxes on a page, collect the data, total the data,
> and then send it to another page to be viewed by the user (sort of like a
> shopping cart).  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would really
> appreciate the help.  Also, this would be a great opportunity for anyone
> that has any free time to get in on building a business from scratch.  We
> are currently putting together a DEMO package and will be using this to
> secure some investment capital.  Right now there is are currently 3 of us
> involved with this venture, and we are looking for a couple other people to
> jump aboard, preferably someone with good programming skills.  The company
> is Venus Enterprises.

I've kept my mouth shut through quite a bit of off topic posting. I didn't
even raise objection to the C++ developer ad (even though the
qualifications were knowing variants of java), but I really must step in
and speak my mind on this one.

First, this is a Linux user's group. Say it with me now, Linux. I knew you
could. Asking for help on the topic of cgi is about as far from Linux as
you can get.

Second, this posting was the most thinly veiled attempt at getting a free
ride and finding suckers to jump aboard a go nowhere company (I'm assuming
anybody this clueless is going to fail or at least I hope so :). I for one
have enough worthwhile things to do to occupy my time and everyone I know
who's a part of PLUG does too. I don't need to get mail from somebody who
wants free work. If people come up with interesting projects for
themselves or to help others, then I'm happy lending a hand, but if you
want me to work to help you make a profit, then you pay me and not in
potential wealth. And if you want to go and hire somebody with general
programming skills then place an ad in the newspaper or search on or try
monster.com or something. I don't care, but you're not winning any friends
here by making your first post to the Philadelphia Linux User's Group one
about asking people to do free cgi programming and to join a "Start Up"
company (I still don't get why that's in '"'s).

Nicolai Rosen
nick@netaxs.com
Earthstation/Netaxs
http://laktar.dyndns.org/
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:

62. I will design fortress hallways with no alcoves or protruding structural
supports which intruders could use for cover in a firefight.
   -- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html