Brent R. Matzelle on Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:05:47 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Possible HD failure?

Hello All,

I have been running 4 Linux servers at my job for several months
now.  Everything has been running beautifully except for one
problem.  On two occurrences one of the servers (Compaq 166MHz,
32 MB RAM, 3.2 GB Maxtor HD, running RedHat 6.2) have simply
ceased functioning.  When I got to the server I can view the
login screen but when I try to log in the screen goes blank and
doesn't respond.  When I reboot the machine it works fine.
Recently I got this error in the /var/log/messages file on our
DNS server right before it ceased functioning:

Sep  1 08:27:09 ns1 named[465]: can't open omnient.com.log:
Permission denied
Sep  1 08:27:21 ns1 named[465]: can't open omnient.com.log:
Permission denied
Sep  1 08:27:21 ns1 named[465]: error updating serial number for
omnient.com from 200006832
<snipped out>
Sep  1 09:06:28 ns1 named[465]: fopen() of omnient.com.dumptmp
failed: Permission denied
Sep  1 09:06:28 ns1 named[465]: zone dump for 'omnient.com'
failed, rescheduling

I believe that this is a hard drive failure (our Maxtor HDs have
done this before), but I want to know if any of you have had a
similar experience and can verify the error.  I want to suggest
to my boss to purchase some new reliable HDs but I don't want to
until I can eliminate the possible of this being a different
problem.

Thanks much.

Brent

=====