Andrew Barnett on Thu, 7 Sep 2000 08:42:06 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Partitions

After the meeting last night I was doing some thinking on multiple
partitions. One of the benefits I've found (and forgot to mention last
night) is the ability to run multiple filesystems, which usually works
much better if you give each filesystem its own partition (vs
loopback).

For instance, reiserfs with journaling may be better suited to /home
since it handles small (< 4K) files much better (and I split my email
into billions of files) as well as cutting down mount times for huge
filesystems. However, ext2 is better suited to other applications
since it caches a lot more in memory and can be faster for repetitive
accesses (like MySQL).

I was wondering if anyone else out there has played with multiple
filesystems on different partitions. What were the attractive features
of the particular filesystems you chose, and what part of the
filesystem as a whole did you use it on (/home, /tmp, /var, etc.)?

BTW - I think it was Frank that volunteered to do the regex talk next
time. If I may make a suggestion, he could ask us to bring our
favorite regex's -- for instance, what regex would you use to match
url's in email (ie like those used in mutt and urlview).

I will admit to being on the digest version of this list, so if you
want a quick response from me, include my email in the reply.

-Andrew

Andrew Barnett                                      PO Box 701
Data Clarity, Inc.                                  Abington, PA 19001
andrew@dataclarity.com                              tel (877)496-3527
http://www.dataclarity.com/                         fax (801)382-1525