Beldon Dominello on Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:14:37 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Re: United Way got you down? [OT]

johnathan spectre wrote:

> Excuse me, but what does this have to do with PLUG, linux or even computers
> in general?
>
> I like to think I'm a kind and generous person and all, but please keep
> these OFF TOPIC (and rather poorly veiled advertisements) off this mailing
> list, they don't belong here. I'm on this list to discuss linux and linux
> related issues.

If you cared to read my post, you would see that I am suggesting that people
use the UW contribution schema to contribute to causes that support electronic
freedom (EFF), or Free Software (Debian and FSF) and included those three as
off-the-top-of-my-head examples of organizations worthy (and eligible) for
this kind of support.

Still not convinced?  Try this clue:

http://www.gnu.org/help/donate.html#UnitedWay

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and figure you just didn't
know that GNU, the Debian Project, and the EFF have all contributed much to
what we casually call Linux.  I'm not sure what you think my post might have
been a "thinly veiled advertisement" for, since all three of them are tax
exempt, charitable organizations.

I might have included the XFree project, the BSD's, Apache, or any of the
numerous Free and Open Source software projects, but I wasn't sure of their
tax status (i.e. if they were eligible as charities), and didn't have time to
look them all up.

If you cannot see how any or all of these might be "Linux related issues",
then I suggest you ask (politely) in open forums such as this.

"Qui non intelligit, aut taceat, aut discat"
(If you do not understand, be quiet, or learn)