gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:52:42 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Moving /usr to a new partition properly

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 05:29:17PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On the receiving side:
> $ nc -v -v -l -p $port | gunzip -c | tar xvpf -
>
> On the sending side:
> $ tar cvpf - <dir> | gzip -c | nc -v -v -w 2 remotehost $port

Ewwww... netcat. Might as well just use rcp.

But yeah, as long as you're on switched Ethernet, with only two
machines, and the whole thing physically disconnected from the
Internet, that *might* be safe.

;^>

It'll definitely be worlds faster than scp.

(Hey, bet you could netcat over an ssh-tunnel, though I don't think
that would be particularly meaningful.)

> BTW, a minor point with your recommended command: The Tips-HOWTO
> recommends:
>
> $ (cd /source/directory && tar cf - . ) | (cd /dest/directory && tar xvfp -)
>
> On the right-hand side of the pipe, you have a ; instead of &&.  I would
> recommend the && as a "just in case" measure.

Hrm.

Well, what I use, I got out of NetBSD's current tar man page (except
they recommend using -C instead of any kind of cd, which is what
I actually do, but I've found some versions of Gnu tar's -C flag
to be moderately broken here and there, so I didn't want to recommend
that). && probably would be better... and a working -C would be
ideal. I guess the real concern, though, is that you not be dumb
and try to make the destination dir something that doesn't exist.
Just don't do that. In any of these file movement techniques.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net