Michael Leone on Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:07:48 -0500

Re: [PLUG] webcasting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael C. Toren" <mct@netaxs.com>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] webcasting

> > > No one person has had to make such a decision in the past.  What
typically
> > > happens is that major issues (for example, which venue to hold future
> > > meetings at) are discussed on the mailing list, and a general
consensus is
> > > reached.  Once in a blue moon it becomes clear that a consensus won't
be
> > > possible, and some type of voting is initiated.
> > >
> > > It has worked remarkably well for a long time now.
> >
> > I can think of 2 situations contrary to that - the meetings are/were at
I-Q
> > because they had *1* person they could co-ordinate thru - Darxus. If
just
> > any member had called IQ and asked for the room/use of bandwidth/etc,
bet
> > you that they would not have been so free with the resources.
> >
> > The meeting at Cigna. Came about because the folks at Cigna had *1*
person -
> > Tony - they could co-ordinate thru. If you or I (or any other Plug
member
> > that the cigna powers-in-charge did not know), NO WAY would we have been
> > able to use that resource.
>
> You are correct that both at IQ and at Cigna we received offers to host
> PLUG because an employee of the respective companies also happened to be a
> PLUG member.  But, just because an offer was made doesn't mean that PLUG,
> as a group, accepted.  It wasn't an order to meet at IQ or Cigna, it was
> an offer, which was discussed on the list and then accepted once a general
> consensus had been reached.

Not the point that I'm making. My point is that it was the single point of
contact that even got us the offer.
I know that we voted - and we should have - on the offer.

> > Granted that neither of them is an official officer of the group, but
both
> > situations were at least partially dependent upon the identity of the
person
> > who originally made the request. Would not have happened if "anybody
could
> > speak for the group"; in these cases, it was because of a SINGLE
INDIVIDUAL
> > who spoke for the group.
>
> Yes, those single individuals made offers to the group, which were very
> much appreciated!  But no, those single individuals did not speak for the
> group as a whole.

No, but the offers would not have been made if the offerring party could not
deal with just 1 person.

Ya know what? Just forget the whole damn thing. I've got other stuff to do.