Kevin Brosius on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:34:13 -0500 (EST)

Re: Wireless (was Re: [PLUG] Linux Crypto File Systems)

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> At 4:20 PM -0500 12/11/00, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> >Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> >>
> >  >         Tell me about it!  The last couple of conferences that I've
> >  > been too also have it up and running and it's amazing!
> >
> >What were they using for wireless?
>
>         Apple Airport BaseStations which run the industry standard
> 802.11 protocols, so that you can access it from Mac, Windows and
> Linux.
>
> >Has anybody tried the Ricochet/Metricom wireless service in the Philly
> >area?
>
>         I haven't tried them here in Philly, but I used to use them
> early on when I was still in the Valley.  The guy who designed the
> software protocols is a friend of mine.  Good stuff!
>
> >They're selling modems for $99 until Dec 27, with monthly service
> >at $75-80 for 128kbps unlimited use.
>
>         I'd rather pay for usage, since I'm usually at home/work in
> front of my machine and on a high speed network - however, for those
> times when I'm not there (on a train, waiting for a plane, etc.) I'd
> LOVE to have one!

I've run across some discussion about train use...  It sounds like a
moving train is about the worst case scenario for ricochet.  Cells are
small and handoff doesn't sound very robust, so you're transfers drop
into 9600 territory.  One comment I saw suggested that remote ssh or
telnet sessions were impossible on a moving train because of the small
packet size and latency.  Waiting for a train or plane was great.

> >I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like you may
> >actually see 200K+ throughput on large downloads, while smaller packets
> >get lower performance due to latency in their wireless network
> >(architecture related.)
>
>         Not exactly, but yes, larger blocks do better than smaller ones.

I forgot to mention, advertised bandwidth is 128k down, 64k up with the
USB connection.  Serial is rated lower.

--
Kevin Brosius