Mike Leone on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:57:48 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Update: USB on 2.2.18

> Just a couple comments...
>
> I'd been looking forward to the official release of 2.2.18 for a couple
> weeks now.  I'd decided to look into a pre-patch version of it a little bit
> ago (either 22 or 24, can't remember which).  Noted the neat stuff in the
> config.  :)

Yeah. But it needs more help info; I didn't know what they all the new options were, and some had no
explainations. So I didn't want to turn on something I didn't need. Of course, it also means I didn't turn on
something I might want, too.

> Since then, I was randomly checking ftp.kernel.org  to see if
> it was up yet.  I actually built the kernel, but got a kernel panic.
> That's when you remember, "Oh yeah.  My root filesystem is ReiserFS." :)
> Of course, the 2.2.17 patch didn't work.  But once Namesys has the patch up
> at their site, I'll be giving it another shot. :)

It's always somethin', huh? :-)

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 08:50:21AM +0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > either SCSI or USB scanners. I downloaded a tarball of the source, but
> > it wouldn't compile properly (I got errors), I downloaded and installed
> > an RPM of SANE from <http://www.rpmfind.net>. This worked easily.
>
> Missing development libraries.  :)

Possibly. Altho the tarball made no mention of such dependencies, so what they are, I dunno.

> > scanner). Then I made it available to the gimp program by making a link
> > to the xscanimage program in the gimp's plug-in directory (a word to the
> > wise - the documentation refers to the wrong location of the xscanimage
> > program - surprise, surprise :-) - xscanimage installs into /usr/bin,
> > not /usr/local/bin)
>
> Well, again, it depends.  If you use an .rpm or a .deb, it will be in
> /usr/bin, since the FHS says that /usr/local is not to be touched by the
> distributions, but is rather the domain of the system administrator.  If
> you had compiled the program from source, it would have most likely been in
> /usr/local/bin, as the configure scripts in most source tarballs I've seen
> nowadays put things in /usr/local by default (since, by definition, it is
> you, the system administrator, compiling the program and installing it
> yourself, outside of the province of the distribution/packaging system).
>
> > Anyways ... the final points:
>
> Are you going to patch linux-usb.org's docs?  ;)

I may send them an email. We'll see.