MaD dUCK on Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:37:38 -0500

Re: [PLUG] RH 6.2 unstable?

also sprach Mike Leone (on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:20:19AM +0500):
> > i would swear by my left pinky that it's gnome that's freezing, not
> > linux. gnome sucks pretty bad in my opinion, if you plan on using a
> > file manager, you might just as well use windows. in general, i find
>
> Not in my opinion. Altho you're right - the file manager sucks. Badly.

well, maybe not gnome but i am fairly sure it's X unless if course
there is some buggy driver or kernel module. i personally saw the
kernel go down only once in my life on a linux machine and that was
due to a memory chip failure. i've seen it freeze many times but it
was always because of X or APM.

> > RH7 better? mh. if you want a good distribution, the go for SuSE, i
>
> There are many good distributions.

yes, sorry for stating my opinion so rigorously in this religious
affair :). yes, there are many good distributions. i still find redhat
to be Pop-Linux and very commercial.

> I *like* the wizards. I like *more* the OPTION to not use them, if I
> don't wish to. MS does not give me this option to avoid the wizards
> when I want to; Linux does. I wish Linux would give me the option to
> use a wizards, when I want; it doesn't.

well, you have a point. my problem is that they are enabled by default
(i.e. linuxconf). i want to choose to use them, not to have to disable
them first if by default i wish not to. SuSE does that, Debian for
sure. RedHat doesn't...

> Because isn't that the point of linux - to do things the way *I*
> want, not the way some OS and/or application designers want me to do
> things?

yes. and sure, after a "wizard" had its way, you can look at the
results in the text file. i for one like my text files properly
formatted and tabbed, commented etc. and the "wizards" usually destroy
that...

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.