cavegirl on Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:32:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DSL servise question

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:51:01 -0500 (EST)
From: cavegirl <khill@bolverk.net>
To: "plug@lists.phillylinux.org" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] DSL servise question

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:

> Hello,
> I tried to find an ISP providing DSL in my area.
>
> Several discussions in this list made me think that  :
> 1) BellAtlantic aka Verizon owns the wires.
>      If there is no wires in my neighborhood - I am hopeless.

This is sort of accurate. Companies such as covad are allowed to use the
lines for a fee because of FCC regulations. If a colocator does not have
a cage at the nearest co or a mux to a cage within the required distance
they can not provide dsl to you.

> 2) ISPs own networking stuff, have connections to Internet backbone and
>      rent these wires ( see 1 ) to make my DSL - connection happen.
>      In general I have some choice between ISPs.
>
> However, I found that only speakeasy and magpage have the nearest
> station
>    Serving CO CLLI Code:
>               NWTWPANW
>    Serving CO Location:
>               NEWTOWN, PA

These are the same location. They are owned by the ILEC, but CLECs may
have equipment there. If your home is too far away from the CO then you
don't qualify. It is the actual wire distance though. You may be 10 feet
from a CO but if the actual loop distance is too far, you are out of
luck.

> Verizon and DCA were sorry to tell me the service is not available in my
> area.
> DCA kindly gave the list of providers it checked with :
> - Bell Atlantic ADSL
> - Covad DSL
> - Conectiv DSL.
>
> Now I think I need to figure out who owns that "NWTWPANW" in Newtown,
> and find list of the ISPs working with that guy.
>
> Am I right ? Also, out of curiosity, what does "CO CLLI" mean ?

Central Office, Common language location identifier.

Odds are until they install repeaters or utilize loop extenders in an
outside plant environment you will have to use other broadband options.

BTW, hi this a delurk. I am a linux newbie and am planning on coming to
the next PLUG meeting. Be gentle. ;->

kristin