Michael Leone on Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:03:13 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: linux newbie here

> You've basically got 2 solutions:
>
> 1) Disable the video card (or remove it if it's not embeded) and install a
>    supported one.
>
> 2) Write support for your card.

I'm thinking, that if Matty could write video drivers from scratch, (s)he
wouldn't need any help in getting X running.

That's why I dislike those Presario's; everything is integrated. I thought,
tho, that Compaq was using ATI chips for their video. If so, you should be
able to install X, since X supports most of those ATI chips. Finding out
WHICH video it is, might be a different story.

Matty, try this command:

cat /proc/pci.

(this lists all PCI boards in your computer) Look for your video board.
Something like this ..

  Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Trio32/Trio64 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 9.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfd000000 [0xfd000000].

This says that my video board is based on a S3 Trio32/Trio64 video chip. And
that would help me, when I go to install X.

This will help tremendously, in determining how best to proceed. Later, we
can try and see if there's some way to get your WinModem (that's the term
for "software modem") working.