Rupert Heesom on Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:09:54 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.4 under RH7

On 10 Apr 2001 19:31:17 -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 06:08:36PM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> > I've confirmed that I have gcc 2.96-96 installed, and kgcc 1.1.2-40
> > installed, and this is after
> > I've applied what I think is all the updates.  So, RH _does_ run the
> > wrong gcc even now!
> I'm surprised that there have been no conflicts between stuff that
> people have installed locally on RH boxes upgraded from 6.2 to 7
> and the new ld. (Maybe there have, and we just haven't heard.)
>
> There would *definitely* be trouble if people released binary
> packages they suggested would work anywhere except RH 7 built with
> the weird gcc.

I suspect that the people using RH do not generally compile stuff (like
myself).  I only compile
when I HAVE TO.  Otherwise I make do with the RPM system.

When installing the Logical Volume Manager, I found RPMs for the LVM
/sbin files, and even for the kernel patch (I ended up patching the
2.4.3 kernel for a later LVM beta.).  So the only thing I had to compile
was the kernel itself.

--
regs
rupert