Michael C. Toren on Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:03:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] register .edu?

> > I think you're going to have trouble registering a .edu for a k-12 school;
> > the recent requirement has been that the organization must be a four year
> > degree-granting college or university.
>
> That's what I thought, too, but I've seen domains for 2-year colleges as
> well as museums (including Philadephia's own fi.edu).  And don't forget
> things like merit.edu.  ;)

Both merit.edu and fi.edu are very, very old domain names, registered in
the mid to late 1980's.  Policies since then for new registrations have
changed dramaticly.

> bj@neo:~$ host -t soa edu. |head -1
> edu start of authority  A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET hostmaster.nsiregistry.NET(
>
> Try mailing hostmaster@nsiregistry.net to see if it can be done.

nsiregistry.net is run by Verisign, formerly Network Solutions, so mail
addressed to hostmaster there is probably passed on to their text-form
processing robots.  I would simply try putting "foo.edu" to the HTML
form on the http://www.networksolutions.com/ website.

-mct