gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 20:40:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] some work on the letter to usip.edu

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:51:44PM -0400, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> The whole thing is a department, i.e., it is "The Department of
> Mathematics, Physics, and Computer Science" - Only one department,
> three disciplines.

Wow.

I thought about that having been why things were worded that way in
the email, but couldn't make sense of it. After skimming over
www.usip.edu a bit, though, it makes a bit more sense. (That is, it
seems like the school's roots are largely in medicine and pharmacy,
so lumping three mostly-math areas together is reasonable.)

I guess you just don't usually see all the names get top billing.
Before the computer science program--it's not a department, though
it does grant an honors major and minor--split off here at
Swarthmore, the best you could do was some theory of computation and
algorithms based courses in the math department.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net