Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:38:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] A few newbie questions :-)

> Anyone have a good, unambiguous definition of "desktop environment"?

Another thing you can say is that desktop environments strive to be
seamless. They offer cut and paste in b/w apps, drag and drop, a familiar
interface for all apps, office is to word as desktop environment is to
window manger, the first encompasses the second and so much more.

Personally, I don't use a desktop environment nor do I use an office suite
b/c I like it stripped down and modular. If I want these big bulky things
I'd run another OS, but I like having them available under linux to show
off. there's less and less that linux can not do.

Fred