Bill Jonas on Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:19:41 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Windows vs Linux e-mail return address

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 01:27:33PM -0400, paul@dpagin.net wrote:
> So, I have to use an account name which matches my e-mail address name?

Not necessarily.  You can tell your MTA (mail transport agent) that you
are a "trusted user".  How you do that depends on which MTA you're
using.  Common ones include sendmail, exim, postfix, and qmail.  Which
one are you using?  Some specific recommendations could then be made.

The reason why it doesn't happen with your Windows installation is that
your email program (Netscape, right?) sends your mail to your ISP's mail
server, and that mail server doesn't know that you're not
paul@yourmachine, besides the fact that Win98 user accounts are solely
for the purpose of desktop settings preservation.

Or, if your email program supports it, you could set it so that your
outgoing email gets sent directly to your ISP's mail server, bypassing
your local machine.  Assuming you're using Netscape, you could set this
under Edit -> Preferences, in the mail section, where it asks for your
"Outgoing Server (SMTP)".  This is most likely set to "localhost"; you
can change it to match the setting in your MS-Windows Netscape
installation.

> I can see where "root@dpagin.net" comes from, but how did it come up with
> "root@arthur.nothinbut.net"? Why did it change?

To be honest, I have no idea why the hostname changed.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin
If encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir raelcgvba.