Kevin Brosius on Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:30:19 +0100

Re: SuSE 7.3 (Re: [RE: [RE: [[PLUG] Fonts?]]])

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:07:19AM -0500, Nicholas Vettese wrote:
> > Yeah, but Red Hat just changed their pricing.  The old Standard Package,
> > which was 30 dollars, is now 60.  The version has less than the old
> > Workstation version for the same price.  Then you move right up to the
> > Workstation/Server version for 200 dollars.  No more middle of the road
> > version to make it seem worthwhile to buy.  Now I am trying to see which
> > distro I would like to switch to.
>
> Distro questions quickly get into religion and rehash, but I'll still
> take the bate:
>
> I recently switched to Debian, and I've been really happy. Debian
> sucks a bit on device recognition--you often have to just know that
> your ethernet card needs, say, a 3c59z driver or whatever it
> needs. But other than that, the freeness is excellent. And when I want
> something new, being able to apt-get it and be done with it is truly
> liberating after years of Redhat and Mandrake and searching for rpm's
> and their dependencies.

Might as well plug SuSE here as well...  If you want to go free, and
have good network connectivity, you can download the SuSE boot/install
disk set, then point it at their ftp site and install the distro.  I
don't know how long this will take, as I've only used it to update
selected packages.  Also, while they are shipping 7.3, the ftp site is
usually behind by a little, so I think they only have 7.2 or 7.1 up
there at the moment.

--
Kevin Brosius