Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:31:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Newbie

> Im a Mandrake fan myself. SUPER easy to setup. The

I started on mandrake, and I agree, easy to _start_ with.

> installer is one of the best I've seen althought I
> know Suse's is good as well. RedHat gives you probably
> the easiest package compatibility for updating
> software. Because of the long cycles between releases

I have used rh and I had major troubles upgrading with it. Can you please
tell me how to detect dependencies and download proper packages, and run
the appropriate scripts? What do I type to upgrade my entire distribution
over internet.

I really need to know these answers b/c I'm admn for a rh network. They
want upgrades now. W/ debian, I'd be upgraded all ready, but this is just
b/c I spent more time w/ the apt-get docs.

I have spent hours dependency checking on a rh upgrade. It ultimately
failed and I had to reinstall.

> I would be cautious about recommending Debian because
> if you have newer hardware there is a pretty decent
> chance the installer won't pick it all up. Not that

I don't know what this means. If you mean autodetection, yes,
autodetection is not the greatest. I have all my hd setup on debian. It is
the fastest install I have used. debian will teach you more about your
underlying hardware. I think that this is a Good ThingTM.

There were a few other (failed) distros that have better installers and
they use the debian package manager so you can get up to date. IMHO,
debian has the most stable AND the most bleeding edge sw around.

Finally, I had headaches w/ rh compiling kernel, but again, I didn't do my
reading. I had troubles w/ debian compiling kernel as well, so that's
even. I did figure it out in debian. Someone told me the answer for rh
(really easy, a one line change). Sorry this is such a long rant. I just
bristle when people don't fawn all over my fav distro. How do you spell
fanatic? :)

Fred