Anthony Locascio on Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:40:10 +0100

Re: [PLUG] SAMBA and windoze boxes...

um I know this reply is a little late... :) Sorry I have midterms and a thousand other things to do...

BUT...

Did you try enabling plain text passwords on your windoze machines? That is what sounds like is the problem to me... I can fish up the plain text password reg edit... but its only a few lines then a reboot of course.

I run a few networks that require me to access samba shares... and 9 times out of 10 the plain text passwords is the problem. Why winblows does it is beyond me.... but it sounds like everything else in your configuration is fine... minus that.

I can even send you the reg edit if you want.... or direct you to a site that has a more detailed explanation of why this occurs.

Regards

Anthony

Guillermo Moyna wrote:

Still no luck. I tried using both a username.map file, as well as login into the windoze machine with my username in the LINUX box, and nothing.

The funny thing is that I get something like:

Enter password for resource \\BEZERO\IPC$

(BEZERO being the samba server...). What the heck is IPC$? Is this Bill's idea of a user-friendly environment?

BTW, I'm trying this from a Win98 box, which now is so messed up that I cannot even see the NetHood. What a nightmare. Why don't we all decide to use LINUX and Macs? Our productivity would skyrocket...

Guillermo
+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu