gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:43:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] two questions...

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 02:34:53PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> You can try GNU parted.  It can resize partitions.  And since an ext3
> partition can be mounted as ext2 if it's been properly unmounted, I
> imagine that many tools that work on ext2 would work with ext3.

Including resizing? Doesn't ext3 have some metadata that ext2
doesn't know about? Won't that not get moved properly, leaving you
with a new, smaller (or larger, I guess) ext2 partition with the
same files, but lacking metadata, where you used to have a
differently-sized ext3 partition?

(Or, maybe I'm wrong and ext3 is just speed/soft update hacks, in
which case, no problem.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net