jbeck on Sun, 23 Dec 2001 15:40:12 +0100

[PLUG] How to set up SSH?

Hi All,

Can anyone explain (in as much detail as possible) how to set up the ability to establish an SSH connection between two computers (both on my internal network). The computer I want to "get into" is a default RH 7.1 installation running Apache, perl, mysql db, php, etc (basically a web server for my own testing purposes, though it does have Gnome installed). I need to know:

*If SSH is included in the default install - how do I tell if it is installed?

*Once installed, do I need to configure it? How?

*Does anything need to be done on the computer I am connecting from (a Windows computer) - I guess I need client software - can anyone recommend anything?

Just for reference, the main purpose of this is so that I can create test sites on the windows computer, and publish them to the RH 7.1 computer for testing purposes... Like I said, everything is internal, behind a hardware firewall.

Thanks for your help! Have a great holiday!

John