gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 25 Dec 2001 09:00:11 +0100

Re: [PLUG] .us second level domains broken?

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 02:24:05AM -0500, Mark Schonbach wrote:
> I can nslookup www.state.de.us, www.state.pa.us, etc, and my dns server
> does not have them cached. Are you sure pa.us, de.us, etc exist?  I don't
> ever remember seeing just de.us before.

They should have a record of some kind (who the authoritative DNS
for the zone is and maybe MXes as well), and they should
*definitely* have a valid whois registration. If whois.isi.edu's
no longer the right place, then what is? Is there a whois.<state>.us?
(Doesn't seem to be, so... should there be?) I pretty much ignored
the "second level .us is being opened up" announcements, though I
seem to recall they went past. Anybody remember who's authoritative
for those zones now?

Also, even if you don't have them cached, someone between you and
their root may well.

(This all started because a host a few levels down within wi.us,
which a friend of mine used to use regularly with no trouble, no
longer resolves properly. It may be a more local problem, which is
why I'm asking for a sanity check. :^>)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net