gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:40:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] posting to this list from unsubscribed addresses

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 03:10:38PM -0500, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> There's no reason they can't, and I have no objections if you want to
> reject all messages sent from unsubscribed addresses.  That's quite a
> different policy than automatically subscribing someone to a mailing
> list they didn't ask to be subscribed to.

I think Darxus is talking about doing a little more mental work than
that.

He's not suggesting that every unsubscribed address that tries to
post will be automatically subscribed, just that posts from people he
knows to be subscribers mailing from an unsubscribed source address
will lead to his adding the posting address so he doesn't have to
deal with it the next time they make the mistake. (Strikes me that
if he's going to the trouble to add them he could also turn mail
delivery off with minimal extra effort, but that wouldn't exactly
make his point very clearly.)

I agree that this has all the subtlety of a 2x4 painted fuschia.
I don't think it'll help. But I'm not the one managing the list,
and I trust Darxus and BJ have discussed this amongst themselves.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net