Darxus on Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:00:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Would possibly like to donate hardware: laptops, old monitor, etc

On 01/29, root@physiometrics.net wrote:
> be if my company's Finance dept. doesn't go for it.  Are donations Linux
> Users' Groups tax-deductible?  If they are, then i am almost certain that
> there would be no objection from the company brass.  I look forward to your

It might be, if the LUG is legally registered as a non-profit organization
or something.  Unfortunately, PLUG isn't.

I believe that someone once suggested that PLUG do a fund-raiser and donate
the money to a worthy cause of our choice, officially from PLUG, as a
non-profit.  I believe they said this would cause PLUG to officially be
recognized as a non profit organization.  But this hasn't happened.  PLUG
has been rather chaotic, as far as I can tell, since its inception.

I'm having difficulty coming up with ways that PLUG could make use of the
hardware you listed.  The 2 possibilities I've come up with are:

1) Erik Yunghans donated a P90 laptop to PLUG on December 6th 2000 for use
   in PLUG presentations.  Perhaps the hard drive in that would be
   compatible with one of your laptops, which are faster.

2) Somehow setting up one of those laptops as a server, and attempting to
   get someone to collocate it.

I'm guessing #1 is unlikely.  I think that #2.. is probably not a good
idea.  The plug website and mailing lists have been reliably and graciously
hosted on nothinbut.net machines since about April of 1996, and I don't
think that changing this arrangement would be a good idea.

I encourage others to come up with better ideas.

The one piece of hardware that PLUG really could use is a computer
projector to use with our laptop during presentations at Netaxs.

--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it." - Mahatma Gandhi