Mike Leone on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:40:22 +0100

Re: [PLUG] XFS w/kernel 2.4.17?

> Always keep your current kernel as default boot. Set your prompt for 10-20
> seconds when you reboot after a new kernel compile and select your new
> kernel to boot. This way if things go sour, you just reboot and you are
> back to where you started, and you don't have to do anything. There's
> absolutely no risk to doing this is you are careful ahead of time.

I do have more than 1 kernel. The problem in this case, is that applying the patch, changed the ... I don't know the proper term for it; the "kernel version identifier", I guess .. from 2.4.17 to 2.4.17-xfs. Consequently, when I rebuilt and re-installed my initrd image, I used 2.4.17 as the /lib/modules path, not 2.4.17-xfs. And so the initrd wouldn't load, with the newly patched kernel. I booted into an older kernel - 2.4.13, I think - fixed the initrd image by specifiying the proper /lib/modules path, and then rebooted into my new 2.4.17-xfs.

However, if the 2.4.13 kernel wouldn't work (for whatever unforeseen reason), it would have been annoying to dig out a rescue disk, etc.