Barry Spindler on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:51:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Help Burning CD's

On Monday 11 February 2002 03:18, you wrote:
> > Your next challenge is going to be converting mp3s to
> > iso.
>
> On that note, assuming I get xcdroast to work, what do I need to do to
> create a playable audio cd (in a car / home stereo)?  I guess in windows it
> would convert .mp3 files to .wav files and then burn them - is that the
> same in linux, or do I need to convert the .mp3 files into something else
> first, and if so, what and how?!  :-)
>
> Thanks again!
>
> John

Yep, just use mpg123 (mpg123 -w outfile.wav infile.mp3) to convert to wav
and then cdrecord to write to CD-R
(cdrecord -v dev=0,0 speed=2 -audio track1.wav track2.wav .....)
-v is for verbose operation, dev= is the SCSI ID of the drive
You might also need to add the -pad option if the wav isn't the right
size (it'll tell ya if ya try w/o -pad that ya need it)
X-CDRoast is just a frontend to cdrecord and does all the cdrecord
stuff for ya (so you'll still have to convert the mp3 to wav) and wants
the wavs to be in a certain directory (usually /tmp, tho it can be config'd
to use something else)
Hope all this helps at least a bit.

     --Barry