gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:16:27 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DSL hurry up!

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 10:53:43AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> DSL is in my CO, I am just too far out. There is technology to extend DSL
> as in RADSL, albeit at a reduced speed. Europe, United Kingdom in
> particuliar is apparently rolling this out in a big way. I don't
> understand why it cannot be done here. It looks like it is being used on
> the west coast to some extent.

Well, RADSL does require extra hardware, which does cost money.
Also, if I were an ISP, I would be concerned about over-extending
myself. An ISP with a conscious provides good service to as many
people as it can rather than providing service to as many people as
it can. (The difference is, I hope, evident in Comcast's example of
the wrong way to do things.)

> The marketing oportunity that I envisioned is the huge screwup that
> Comcast (and other cable) providers are either in or going to get
> themsleves in and the necessity for a good alternative to show up.

That's a very valid point. It couldn't be impossible to point that
out to any of the DSL ISPs. I'd expect DCAnet to be particularly
responsive, since they're local. (And they've even already seen it,
since some of them read this list. Though talking to their customer
service--politely, of course--wouldn't be a bad idea.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net